The Royal Academy of Police Message
The Academy believes in efficiency and professionalism in performance and in developing police, law, social and other human sciences within the framework of the values and principles derived form Isl...
For your safety and other's safetyCaricature Archives >>
Indian-Origin Priest Stabbed In Melbourne Church, Accused Shouted 'Unqualified'
In an apparent racist attack, a Catholic priest of Indian origin was stabbed in the neck at a church in Melbourne by a man who called him unqualified to say mass as he was an Indian.
A man armed with a knife approached Tomy Kalathoor Mathew, 48, in the church foyer moments before the Italian- language mass at St Matthew's Parish in Fawkner yesterday.
It's believed that the offender told the priest that because he was Indian, he must be a Hindu or a Muslim and therefore unqualified to say mass, local media reported.
"There was some shouting and a lot of movement at the back of the church and then I saw Father Tommy coming to approach me. He waved me over and asked me if I could look at his neck because he said 'I've just been stabbed'," said Melina, one of the parishioners.
A 72-year-old man from Fawkner was arrested and charged with intentionally and recklessly causing injury.
He was bailed to appear in Broadmeadows Magistrates' Court on June 13.
"People should never be treated like this. This fellow is doing wonderful work for his parishioners and this is really a blight on the great work that many, many Catholic priests are doing," he said.
Father Tomy Mathew suffered minor upper-body injuries and remains in a stable condition at The Northern Hospital.
Vicar General Monsignor Greg Bennet said the priest was doing well in the hospital and wanted to get back to work soon.
- US lawmaker pledges to defend rights of Muslim Americans
- North Korea detains US citizen
- Maldives blogger stabbed to death
- North Korea 'ready to sink' US aircraft carrier Vinson
- Boy aged 12 drives himself 1,300km across Australia
- American monitor in Ukraine dies in explosion
- North Korea Says Ready To Bring Down Donald Trump's 'Armada'
- 6-Year-Old Stuck 30 Feet Deep In Karnataka Borewell, Rescue Operations On
- Pakistani Man Eats Leaves For 25 Years, Never Falls Ill: Report
- Surgeon General Is Removed By Trump Administration, Replaced By Deputy For Now